Lifestyle

First Christmas Out of Home + Tip #1

Today is the first Sunday of Advent and the Christmas season OFFICIALLY kicks off today! Truth be told, I have been playing carols for weeks now but shhhh…that can be our not-so-well kept secret.

LRG_DSC00968

This is the first Christmas that I will not make it home.  I am 29 years old.  That means I have been home with my family for 28 years! Christmas is a huge holiday in my family that is rich with traditions, laughter, skiing, cookies, mulled wine, and puzzles! Although my heart yearns for my family, I am also feeling quite excited at the opportunity I have at hand.  I am going to be spending it with a new community of wonderful people, bringing joy, love and light into the studios over the holidays.  What I am learning more and more is that each season of life is what you make of it.  You could dwell on things that you DON’T have, or, you can chose to focus on what you DO have and cultivate new traditions.  When unpacking all my boxes in my new home, it was the perfect time to go through all my Christmas decorations.  Although I have spent Christmas at my parent’s home, I have been collecting ornaments and knick-knacks for decorating my apartment, wherever that has been in the world.

I know the holiday season is one of many parties and celebrations for people.  Often, the social calendar is packed with events.  I am not a believer in deprivation or saying NO to fun times.  This is a time to make good choices 80% of the time, and live life BIG the other 20%.  Instead of stressing about that beautiful slice of Christmas cake or that celebratory champagne cocktail, let yourself indulge without the guilt.  This brings me to my first tip of the season:

Tip #1: Embrace the wiggle room and leave the guilt at the door!

During the week when your parties and events are at a minimum, make really healthy, clean-living choices.  Walk a few extra blocks, drink more water, eat more plants, and for  heaven’s sake, COME TO CLASS! SoulCycle is the perfect addition to your holiday schedule.  You can come in, get a seriously awesome workout and a mental break, and then walk out in under an hour.  I promise to have you through my class on-time so that you can be on your merry way.  Ultimately, look for ways to give yourself a bit more “wiggle room” so that when you are out at the party, you know you’ve made some really great choices during the week.  Here comes the most important part: LEAVE THE GUILT OUT.  Just stop with the “I shouldn’t have had that cookie and that glass of wine.”  That just is the biggest party pooper of all time.  Guilt is a thief: it will rob you of joy and peace, which is the exact opposite effect of what the season should bring you.

So there you have it, my first tip of the season + a sneak peak into my Toronto home and the cozy Christmas vibes that it houses.

Come back next week for Tip #2 and until then, book those bikes and I will see you this week!

Xo

T

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *